Saturday, January 12, 2008

Escalation Misery

Well, the third session of the Dragon's Lair Escalation League was held today, and I think I can say I've never had a more wretched experience playing in my life. Possibly a game I played in 2nd edition against Orks and Gretchin who all hid in a building, and whose player insisted that I couldn't see any of them, couldn't target any of them, and had to walk across an open plain so he could shoot me-- at which point I realized this game was going to suck, packed up my models and put them back in the car. That game might have been less fun than this one.

Today, every table had loopy "special terrain" rules on it, such as "acid rain does hits to everything every turn" or "rockslides hit random board edges each turn" or similar wacky shit. Ours was, oh, yes, monsters are in every bit of terrain that count as cover, roll 2d6 every time you start in cover or enter it. On a 7 or doubles, a monster eats one of your models. Boy, was that fucking fair! I mean, given that my army uses cover and none of my opponents do. Yes, opponentS plural, because I got teamed up two on two.

Never. Fucking. Again.

One of our opponents was a good player indeed, and earned his victory points. As for the other, I think Poney and I deserve half of the VP he got, because WE HAD TO PLAY HIS FRIGGING ARMY FOR HIM. And he didn't bring any templates. Or scatter dice. Or know what his special rules were. Or what equipment his Lord was carrying, or what its stats were. Or what BS4 means.

You begin to get the idea.

Oh. And he was fielding Necrons. With a Monolith in a 1000 point army.

Yeah.

I'll have to think over whether to continue this league, because frankly, I'm sick of the teamups, in which you can't win or lose on your own, and the wonky added rules. And frankly, I'd rather kill myself than play Master Monolith again.

It was a miserable, painful, tedious waste of a Saturday. At least it wasn't raining.

4 comments:

Atreides said...

Was it the kid with the Brass looking Monolith? I saw him working on his stuff when I was there this afternoon. That thing looked kind of...garish.

kahn265 said...

But, what did you really think?

-R

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

Yes, atreides, that was him. With the hideous destroyers painted as American flags (how I wish I was kidding).

CrusherJoe said...

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad for skipping this.