Monday, February 11, 2008

Iron Builder: CXI is there!

Today was the third of the Iron Builder tourneys we've been to at the Lair, and it was pretty fun. We hadn't planned things out this time, so our piece count wasn't nearly what it might have been.

The Hive Queen built gaunts, and had in mind a conversion for her Canoness, but needed to have drilled things out ahead of time-- Zap-a=Gap betrayed her partway through as things fell to pieces without time to get them to stick together.

Larry Prinzivalle was there, building tanks for a demo later, as well as a boatload of Assault Marines, and he took piece count as well as vehicles.

I puttered around with two Piranhas, a Grey Knight Terminator, some old, old Orks, my oldest blister of Eldar Musicians, and a quartet of power armored Grey Knights, and with an hour and a half to go, started piecing together my box of plastic Cadians. With a half hour to go, a mild bit of inspiration struck, and I borrowed a bit from my lovely wife's bit jars for a slightly startled sergeant:



I must also give credit to the Hive Queen for her good advice: rotating Mr. Rippy just slightly counterclockwise, so that he leaps to one side (and the sergeant's eyes are thus right on Mr. Rippy's head). Much better than the crotch-lunge that was originally glued down! With ten minutes to go, my conversion was done.



This makes three out of three that I've won for this category. I never really thought of myself as a custom converter, but are folks interested in hearing about how to do this sort of thing? I'd be happy to write something up if y'all think it would be useful.

4 comments:

CrusherJoe said...

I'd love to know how you do your conversions. Knowledge = Power! :)

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

@Joe, happy to do it! I'll put some thoughts together and publish a piece on it.

Democratus said...

I'd like to see that as well. Being the painting/modeling novice that I am - any help is appreciated.

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

It's up and linked!