Saturday, November 24, 2007

Apocalypse Extinction... and CXI is there!

Kirk at Dragon's Lair put on an Apocalypse Event today, and we had some old and some new faces, and a lot of fun. Mike, Poney, and Gordon brought 3,000 points each, Ray (of double blind Space Hulk fame) brought three ForgeWorld/Armorcast Titans, and Cameron and Kevin brought Eldar and DA Successors, respectively.

So, it lined up as Imperium vs. Commie-Mutant-Traitors, and was off to a good start. The Commie-Mutant-Traitors won the Deploy bid at 3 minutes, and did our best to box the Imperials in a bit. The Imperials did their best to teach us the joys of Destroyer Weapon goodness. Since I wanted to field painted troops only (although I was too much of a weedy wet to get all 3000 points fully painted, based, and sealed), I decided to field Chaos rather than Tau, and so got to play with the new Codex a bit. It's certainly powerful, no argument there, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it-- I went for oldstyle hardcore forces, with my only deliberate cheesiness being two pairs of Obliterators.

We got through three turns before the timer went off, and left it there. A fun game, all in all, and a variation on "normal" 40K that I would definitely play again with good friends.

Kudos to Kirk for building a nice table with good terrain, and to opening up the event to an alternate prize scheme: either a smaller prize for every participant, or winning side takes all. As we chose it, everyone walked away with something nice-- thanks again, Kirk, for arranging a fun event!

No comments: