Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Transmission: Astramalleus Command

From: Norran Victos, Commander 4th Company Occupation Detachment
To: Leviah Milham, Commander Dalyth Expeditionary Force

The Forces of Chaos are aggressive, but not strong enough to stand up to the Sons of Guilleman, we bearers of the Emperor's Wrath.

We received your transmission on the equipment left for us at grid 7-gamma-53. I prepared a party to retrieve it and found a Chaos force approaching the same position. Perhaps one of their foul Sorcerers divined our presence or the materiel. I prepared our forces to face them.

Not having demonstrable superiority in forces, I chose to use a weakness against them: their pride. I believed that their fixation on fighting and combat would buy us the time to retrieve the equipment and I was correct. 6th Tactical rushed into the center to engage the enemy's heavy weapons troops in a center rock formation and held 2 squads at bay while 8th Devastator provided support fire. Chaos Terminators and more heavy weapons appeared but were dispatched by Devastator fire and the arrival of our own Terminators. Their leader was formidable, downing both 4th Tactical and Dreadnought Brother Onfidik but as he/it reveled in the battle, 2nd Tactical gathered the materiel and when it had been collected, we broke off the engagement and left them empty handed.

Once again, I must offer 6th Tactical up for honor. Their holding of the center managed to both weaken the Chaos force severely and bring my strategy to fruition.

We stopped them here, but this demonstrates to me that they have a strong enough presence to patrol in force and mount sorties from their main position. And if they can send such a Champion that can fell a squad and a Dreadnought single-handedly on a mission of this nature, they must either have significant force or be incredibly desperate and while the latter is preferred, neither is a good prospect.

Once again, I request reinforcements, but if you have been able to only offer these weapons and equipment to aid us, there must be greater things afoot. I hope that when I see you again, my old friend, you will be well.

Sir, we have been at this for weeks. There is barely a man who has not been wounded. Apothecary Talban is working at a feverish rate. Indeed, he has proved the most valuable man in this campaign. My own wounds are grievous, but nothing compared to some that our men have faced. And yet we would do it again for as long as is required to fulfill our duties to the Chapter and to the Emperor.


Hail to the Emperor and the Grand Satrap,

Norran Victos
In Command
4th Company Occupation Detachment


We are the mailed fist of the Emperor.

2 comments:

Democratus said...

That was a great game. All the more so because the difference between victory and defeat was a single Rubric Marine model!

You taught me an important lesson in that fight. Mission, mission, mission!

Also: Lucius is totally awesome. But credit where it's due - it was a Plage Marine chamion who dispatched the Dreadnought with his power fist. Lucius just kept the poor guy occupied and reduced to a pitiful number of attacks.

Atreides said...

Lucius totally sucks from where I'm standing!

And yeah, I know it was the Nurgle guy with the Power Fist, but this is my report back. We outsmarted an uber-powerful Chaos leader. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :P