Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tourney Talk

I begin this with an apology to every opponent I have ever played in a tournament where I dragged my feet and not allowed the game to complete all rounds of play. Mind you I have usually lost those games anyway, but I am now severely cognizant of the annoyance that this can cause. Now that has been said I will say that the preceding informs the rest of my Saturday tourney experience.

Round 1
Dark Angels vs. Dark Angels
Result: Massacred
Mission: Fire Sweep
Lesson Learned: Pay Attention
Game Time: 40 minutes for 5 complete rounds (I threw the towel in.)

I played against my good friend Frank. I started out real strong with my Preliminary Bombardment affecting 3 units. On turn one I punished his units with withering fire, and I was well on my way to a victory. Right up until the turn 3 assault where I had a complete lapse of reason and reacted to my opponent instead of responded. Failure to dog-pile his assault unit and poor casualty pulls completely cost me the game.

Round 2
Dark Angels vs. Necrons
Result: Draw
Mission: Urban Assault
Lesson Learned: Dragging your feet is annoying to your opponent
Game Time: 60 minutes 3 complete rounds played

This time I played against an opponent that I have never played before. His name was Joe and, from the looks of it he was freshly getting into the hobby. He fielded 2 Necron warrior squads, 1 Destroyer Squad, a Tomb Spider, a Monolith, and as always a Necron Lord with the ever popular Orb. His turn 1 took him 20 minutes to do and all he did was wound a marine. On Turn 1 I popped his Monolith, wiped out his Destroyers, and put a wound on the Tomb Spider. (All in less than 5 minutes.)

His turn 2 he charged a 5 man Tactical squad with a Tomb Spider and two scarab swarms, killed two marines, but I put two wounds on him also. His shooting once again managed to do squat. My Turn 2 I brought his squad within the target building down to below half with shooting (they would recover to just above half at the start of his turn.) I was able to assault the Tomb Spider with my master and the squad that the master was in. This time the Scarab swarms were evaporated with a power fist and the master’s power sword.

On his turn 3 he charges the center of the board with his under-strength warrior squad. I make short work of the tomb spider but now am locked with the warriors because they passed their morale check. My turn comes around and it is announced, “Finish the turn you are on.” I shake my head then wipe out the warrior squad in Melee and then consolidate into the target building. Thus I forced the draw.

One more turn I would have charged him, he would have phased out, and I would have had a Victorious Slaughter. The morale here is: Please, be considerate to your opponent and don’t drag your feet.

Round 3
Dark Angels vs. Tyranids
Result: Minor Loss
Mission: Urban???
Lesson Learned: Dragging your feet is annoying to your opponent
Game Time: 60 minutes 3 complete rounds played

I have played bugs countless times I’m not going to rehash this fight because like all bug fights I was charged on turn 1 and had no hope of reaching my objective in his deployment zone by end game. Every round was like pulling teeth because every time I measured range to something or placed a pie plate down he insisted to look at it himself. Normally this would not be a problem, but he took his damn sweet time lining things up and contesting every shot. In the end after spending a minute or two he would agree that what I said was actually what happened. I would file this under the fine art of chewing up your opponent’s time to hide the fact that you are actually the one wasting time.

In the end it was ruled because he had a scoring unit in my building (even though I had three scoring units engaged in melee with them) and I had none in his that it was a minor win for the bugs. (FYI where I come from that is a draw.) This caused me to tie with last place and we rolled off for the third place prize. I lost, of course. Oh well at least the Necron player was able to build his army a little more, and maybe we can see more folks at the Lair.

Lessons for the Future
First if I ever host an event where objective only missions are used I will make sure that the term draw and win are firmly defined before the event, so that there are no crazy spot decisions. Next finished games will be part of the scoring system. Finally I will have a defined way to decide final rankings where players have identical scores. Identical ranking scores could be decided via who had more painted, or maybe via the crazy sportsmanship score.

The Big Question
Did I have fun? Well I can say I mostly had fun. Game 1 was a hoot. My other two opponents weren’t much to write home about. I feel that really if I help build the Lair Community that we will start getting a better stock of players.

Next Tourney: Can we say possible Codex Ork Preview?

9 comments:

Capt Tyranus said...

This is the reason why - even though a lot of people bitched - I enjoyed the Wymer/Melcher approach to tournaments that DL had.

Everything was laid out prior and the rules were enforced to the hilt.

I enjoy playing in Battleforge, but sometimes the casual way in which they run their tournaments (the same way Thor's did before them - I remember the army list written on the back of a pizza receipt...) just drives me crazy.

Atreides said...

Well, is this a call for the CXI to start playing at the Lair on Tuesday nights? I mean, if we can start things off with the right spirit, we could do a lot to foster the right feel for the DL 40k community. Of course, that could be my ego talking...

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

Sorry to hear about the timing issues. Glad you and Frank had a good game, though. I'm a believer in setting a timer for each turn and ruthlessly enforcing that time limit.

Yes, maybe Tuesday CXI nights might be a good thing.

And I'll say it out loud, since the Battleforge Heresy campaign has pussed out three weeks in a row (No scheduled opponent, then opponent nixes Thursday and every proposed alternate night while Brandon says he'll line up a new opponent then doesn't, then no scheduled opponent again), I wouldn't mind playing somewhere else. Battleforge's abundance of space is nice. Its clique of kool kids... well... meh.

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

Oh, and re: Ork Previews/Updates. I don't know if you've seen the same things I have, but I expect to see a lot more Ork armies on the table if what I've seen is what gets printed.

What I've seen looks very Orky indeed. And competitive. And fun.

Psyberwolfe said...

Good and bad news on Tuesday nights. They are no more Tuesday nights is the bad news. Good News is Saturday Night is the new 40k night and Thursday is fantasy night. Starting the tenth they are beginning an escalation league for 40k, and to field more troops you must have them painted with two colors. I can't tell you how happy a painting requirement makes me.

Although their approach had merit I had a few problems. The scoring system was not the best, i.e. painting scores were worth 42% of your overall score. The missions were terribly written, and judging was non existant. Other than that they did great.

Kurt is new to running Tourneys so I am sure that with a little guidance and help from those of us familiar with the tournaments the Tourney experience at the Lair will get better.

Psyberwolfe said...

Yes I have seen the Orkiness. For some odd reason my archive copy arived before my print copy. Strange that. :P

Atreides said...

I don't suppose I could take a look at you archive copy, could I?

Democratus said...

Sorry to see that the Tourney wasn't all it could have been. I so wish I could have been able to fight in it.

I agree with the esteemed Council in that time limits should be placed on player turns. I'm shocked that the Necron was able to drag that battle to a draw. You were clearly wiping the floor with him by the end of the 2nd turn.

Sad about DL moving to Saturdays. That is the day many stores hold tournaments. A weekday would have been much better.

Ethereal Council, Dalyth Prime said...

atreides-- happy to have your input on an inspection of the archive. will communicate later.